Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Dahab- the final weekend


If I could give one word of advice to next year's program students, it would be to make a periodic escape to Dahab to keep your sanity during the year! We made it back to Dahab with quite the production. I'm not sure if there was some kind of security threat, but our bus was stopped multiple times at check points and twice we were stopped for over an hour. Total, it took us about 14 hours to get to Dahab. But it was worth it. The premise of the weekend was to celebrate Melissa's 21st birthday and we were also invited to the birthday party of Charlie, the British girlfriend visiting her Egyptian boyfriend who is a scuba instructor that we know in Dahab. We arrived and got some food and checked into our hostel. In summary, the weekend consisted of us hanging out at Yalla bar restaurant during the day, sitting in the sun and swimming and then going to happy hour at Yalla bar then moving to Mojito bar for the rest of the evening. The weather was hot and the sea was the perfect temperature for swimming. We celebrated Melissa's birthday in good form, all wearing pink barbie party hats. We much some new friends- a few Austrialians traveling around Egypt, one then making his way to Canada, a guy from Washington state working on his dive master certification, some random French guy. Overall it was a ton of fun. We decided to skip class on Sunday to stay an extra day, well worth it. We were all sad to leave Dahab. It seems like the one place in Egypt that is liberal were we can be more of ourselves. Plus the Red Sea is so beautiful! I never tire of swimming in its crystal blue waters. Now, its back to the reality of Alexandria- the crowd, the traffic, the noise and the weather and humidity are really picking up. We finished our last classes today and have a week of exams and projects in front of us before we leave. Then, it's off to Paris for a two day layover before finally coming home.
I have mixed emotions about the year ending. I'm excited to finally be dome with all the work of our program. I'm happy to be heading back to America. However, I feel like I've finally adjusted to life here. I love hearing the call to prayer, the cheap prices, the fresh juice and other delicious food like fatir and koshary. I'm definitely going to miss the people in my program that I've become close to. Luckily, a lot of them are going to be in Washington, DC, where I hope to move and work after spending some time at home. I will definitely enter a final post or two in my last week here and then I hope to have lots of fantastic tales from paris to tell!!

No comments:

Post a Comment